The Long-Term Effects of Mold Exposure on Children and Pets

Mold exposure is a common household issue that can have damaging impacts on children and pets. These vulnerable populations are at a higher risk of experiencing negative consequences due to their underdeveloped immune systems. It’s crucial to be aware of the long-term effects of mold growth in your home to keep your family healthy and safe.

mold exposure shown in corner of wall and ceiling in home

Respiratory Problems

Respiratory problems are a common issue in children who have been exposed to mold. Tiny mold fragments in the air can irritate and inflame the respiratory system, resulting in coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. In extreme cases, it can even lead to the development of asthma or trigger asthma attacks.

Skin Irritation

Skin irritation is another common outcome of mold exposure for both children and pets. Pets, in particular, may experience skin irritations due to their increased exposure to damp or humid environments. These irritations can be uncomfortable and may require medical treatment.


Allergies can also develop from repeated mold exposure in both children and pets. The immune system can become sensitized to mold, leading to allergic reactions such as runny nose, itchy eyes, and sneezing.

Long-Term Health Consequences of Mold Exposure

It’s important to remember that the long-term health consequences of mold exposure can persist even after the mold has been removed. For example, children with mold-triggered asthma may require ongoing medication to manage their symptoms.

Finding Mold Remediation Professionals in Albany, NY

In conclusion, mold exposure can have far-reaching and serious impacts on children and pets. If you suspect mold in your home, it’s important to address the problem promptly to minimize health risks. Implementing preventive measures, such as proper ventilation, can help protect your family from mold’s negative effects.

Hiring mold remediation professionals is the key to addressing mold in your home quickly and efficiently. The team finds the mold and creates a remediation plan that covers you and your home and your family from point A to point Z.  

Professional Fire Restoration should be the first call you make after experiencing any kind of mold growth in your home. We have over 35+ years of experience of turning crisis into calm. We’re here to help you along your path to starting new. Contact us today so we can help assess the mold growth in your home and make it a safe place for your family to live happily and healthy.