Emergency Evacuation Kit for Home Fires and More
Home fires are the last thing that any homeowner ever wants to imagine. While it may not be possible to completely save your home from a fire, it is completely possible to educate yourself and your family to prepare for home fires and any other emergencies. One of the ways you can help prepare is to build an emergency evacuation kit for home fires for each member of your household. Here is a checklist explaining important items that your emergency evacuation kit should include.
When building an emergency evacuation kit for home fires you should keep in mind a few things. You should have one kit for each member of your household and a few extras in case you have guests visiting. They should be light enough to carry and, in a spot, where you can easily grab them before evacuating. You should also consider keeping extra kits in your car in case you are unable to get to where you store the kits in your home.
- Water for both several days of drinking and hygiene
- Several days’ worth of non-perishable food items
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
- Masks, soap, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes
- Prescription medications
- Non-prescription medications
- Prescription eyeglasses and contact lens solution
- Infant formula, bottles, diapers, wipes and diaper rash cream for young infants
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Important documents including proof of identification, insurance policies, birth certificates, and bank information.
- Blankets to keep warm
- Extra clothes
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Paper and pencil or pen
- Extra eyeglasses or contacts
- An extra set of car keys, credit cards, cash or traveler’s checks
Whether you are dealing with a fire in your home, or another type of emergency, packing only the essentials in your emergency evacuation kit is crucial. This will make the kit easier to carry and be filled with more important items. However, if time allows you to grab a few fewer essential things and put them into your kit, here are some ideas.
- Easily carried valuables such as photographs, memorabilia, etc.
- Personal computer information on hard drives and disks
- Spare chargers for cell phones, laptops, etc.
- Activities to entertain children
Finding Fire Damage Restoration Professionals in Albany, NY
The most important thing is getting you and your family safe away from the fire and prepared with an emergency evacuation kit. If your house is still left with fire damage, dealing with that is the next step. Hiring fire damage restoration professionals is the key to addressing water damage and getting your home put back together quickly and efficiently. The team assesses the fire damage and creates a restoration plan that covers you and your home from point A to point Z.
Professional Fire Restoration should be the first call you make after experiencing any kind of fire damage in your home. We have over 35+ years of experience of turning crisis into calm. We’re here to help you along your path to starting new. Contact us today so we can help clean the fire damage in your home and repair it to what it was or make it even better.