According to the National Fire Protection Association,there are an estimated 346,800 home structure fires per year. Depending on the severity of the fire and what caused the fire, the damage can be cleaned up easily or require a professional restoration team. While there are many causes of home fire damage, there are a few that happen most often like cooking grease fires, electrical problems, unattended candles, and smoking-related fires. Let’s learn a little more about each of them below.
Cooking Grease Fires
Most home fires tend to occur in the kitchen. This is due to the amount of heat, gas, and grease that are used in the room. With grease fires, damage occurs quickly, and water only makes the fire worse. If you experience a grease fire in your kitchen, you should never use water to put out the fire. Instead, turn off the heat immediately, smother the flame, and if needed use a chemical fire extinguisher.
Another common cause of home fire damage is electrical fires. Electrical fires are caused by fault or damaged wiring within your home. This can be in wiring plugged into sockets or wiring that is housed behind your home walls. It’s important to be cautious of how much you are plugging into the power sources and not to overcrowd them. You should also address any broken or frayed wires as soon as possible. One of the most telling signs of an electrical fire is the smell of burning plastic. If you notice this, turn off your home’s power source immediately and seek professional help.
Having candles can be a fun way to add décor and fragrance to your home. However, if not watched carefully, candles can become a fire hazard and be a cause of home fire damage. Whether you have candles, wax warmers, incense, or any other fragrance tools in your home, they all need to be turned off when not home or watched carefully if you are. If they are left unattended, the heat can shatter glass, cause spilled wax, and be knocked over. Some wax is even flammable, being more likely to cause a fire to spread in your home.
Smoking Related Fires
Another common cause of home fire damage is smoking-related fires. If you have a smoker in your household or that visits often, it is important that they are highly aware of accidents that could cause a fire. Common scenarios that lead to a smoking-related fire are falling asleep with a lit cigarette, overloading ashtrays, and sparked embers landing inside the home. To avoid these mistakes, you can encourage guests and family members to smoke outdoors, clean their ashtray frequently, and to always make sure that lit cigarettes are put out.
Finding Fire Damage Restoration Professionals in Albany, NY
Hiring fire damage restoration professionals is the key to addressing smoke and fire damage and getting your home put back together quickly and efficiently. The team assesses the damage and creates a restoration plan that covers you and your home from point A to point Z.
Professional Fire Restoration should be the first call you make after experiencing any kind of fire damage in your home. We have over 35+ years of experience of turning crisis into calm. We’re here to help you along your path to starting new. Contact us today so we can help clean the fire damage in your home and repair it to what it was or make it even better.